Monday 7 June 2010

Buff Tip, The Sycamore & Dusky Brocade

Dusky Brocade

The Sycamore

Buff Tip

Buff Tip
Once again it rained all evening so once again I decided to put the MBT just inside the back door and once again I was amazed by the moths that showed up, I got several of the usual obvious species then a Green Silver Lines showed up closely followed by an Eyed Hawk. I found a Sycamore on the back door and as I was potting it up I saw what I thought was a bee looking out from under the rim of the trap lid.....on closer inspection it turned out to be the biggest Buff Tip I've ever seen with a wingspan of approx 60mm.
 The trap was on from 10pm till 3:20am

4 Scalloped Hazel
1 Small Magpie
1 Buff Ermine
2 Rustic Shoulder Knot
1 Ingrailed Clay
2 Brimstone
4 Common Marbled Carpet
1 Eyed Hawk
1 The Sycamore(NFG)(ID thanks Steve)
1 Buff Tip(NFY)
1 Tawny Marbled Minor?(NFG)(No photo yet!)
1 Green Silver Lines
1 Bright-line Brown-eye
2 Willow Beauty
1 Riband Wave
1 Freyer's Pug
2 Garden Carpet
6 Heart + Dart
2 Light Brown Apple Moth
1 Dusky Brocade(NFG)(ID thanks Skev)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Ian,

    I'm swayed more towards Sycamore rather than Poplar Grey?

    Regards

    Steve T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Steve...I think you're right, I've never had Sycamore before and it looks quite a bit like the Poplar Grey but the spots on the wings didn't look 'bright' enough so I thought it was just a variant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Ian,

    Definitely a Sycamore.

    The other noctuid is not Shears or Glaucous Shears (which is actually pretty restricted to moorland). Looks to be one of the Amphipyrinae - I reckon it is a Dusky Brocade (quite variable but I can't see anything that doesn't fit).

    Cheers,
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers Skev, I've had a few of these now.

    ReplyDelete