Sunday 20 September 2009

Blair's Shoulder Knot




After the excitement of the past 2 nights and despite the fact that the temperature was down to below 8c I couldn't resist putting the trap out tonight just to see if there was anything about and I'm pleased to report there was....not much though!. The first surprise of the night was a Small Blood Vein which is only the second time I've caught that species in my garden, the second and nicest surprise was a Blair's Shoulder-Knot which is new to my garden.
The trap was out from 8pm to 3:15am

Tonight's Log

1 Large Yellow Underwing
2 Lesser Yellow Underwing
1 Common Marbled Carpet
1 Common Wainscot
1 Small Blood Vein(see photo above)
1 Grey Pine Carpet
1 Canary Shouldered Thorn
1 Willow Beauty
1 Lunar Underwing
1 Blair's Shoulder-Knot(see top photo above)(ID confirmation thanks to Ben)

2 comments:

  1. Hi there! I've just found your excellent blog while roaming on Google to check out what I think is definitely....a Blair's Shoulder Knot, which came to my trap last night. I'm going to feature it tomorrow on my blog Martin's Moths - thanks for linking to that btw; when I can sort such things out, I will do the same in return. Ben is extremely helpful to me too. All best wishes Martin Wainwright

    ReplyDelete