Friday 21 August 2009

Not much happening tonight!


I was out running my music club last evening and didn't get back till late so I didn't put the trap out but despite the cold I thought I'd give it a try tonight and it was amazing to see how few moths were around compared to just a few nights ago. I know things will start to quieten down as the evenings get cooler but to go from 127 macros on Tuesday to just 24 on Friday is quite a drop in numbers, let's hope the weather gets a bit warmer again or it will be down to speculative trapping once a week instead of expectant trapping nightly.
I didn't get anything new for my garden but I did get another of the small Silver-Y moths which I had mistaken for a Scarce Silver-Y the first and second time I got them, how unusual is this size variant?, is it a recognised 'sub-species' or is it a new phenomenon that nobody is quite sure about yet?.
The trap was out from 9pm to 3am
Tonights Log
6 Large Yellow Underwing
2 Lesser Yellow Underwing
3 Setaceous Hebrew Character
2 Common Rustic
2 Willow Beauty
1 Old Lady(actually in the trap!)
1 Square Spot Rustic
1 Spectacle
1 Pebble Hook Tip
1 Common Marbled Carpet
1 Flounced Rustic
1 Angle Shades
1 Lempke's Gold Spot
1(Small) Silver-Y(see photos above)

No comments:

Post a Comment