Wednesday 19 August 2009

Staunton Harold Reservoir







Thanks to my wonderful wife I got to spend 3 hours trapping at Staunton Harold reservoir this evening from 8:30pm to 11:30pm, I took the 'Skinner' trap with the 160w MBT all powered very nicely by the generator I got from eBay recently which ran surprisingly well.
Not a lot of moths actually went into the trap they mainly landed on or around the sheet but I did manage to pick off quite a few for identification, apart from the few I kept in order to get their photo I let everything else out of the trap before I left so I don't end up confusing things by finding them in my garden tomorrow night.

Species noted at/in the trap were...
Large Yellow Underwing
Lesser Yellow Underwing
Lesser Broad Bordered Yellow Underwing
Riband Wave
Dun-Bar
Flame Shoulder
Lempke's Gold Spot
Copper Underwing
Canary Shouldered Thorn
Yellow Shell
Brimstone
Light Arches
Sallow Kitten
Setaceous Hebrew Character
Square Spot Rustic
Common Rustic
Common Wainscot
Common Carpet
Sandy Carpet *
Flame Carpet *
Dark Marbled Carpet
Iron Prominent
Pale Eggar(see photo above) *
Lesser Swallow Prominent(see photo above) *
Dusty or Satin Wave?(see photo above) *
Brown China Mark(see photo above) *
* = Never seen in my garden
Staunton Harold is only approximately 6 miles from my home so I wasn't too surprised to find many of the species I usually get in my garden there but it's a beautiful place and it was a beautiful warm evening so it sure beat sitting in watching TV.
I must just say a big thanks to Wayne Ball from Severn Trent water for giving me all the necessary info and even coming along to say hello....thanks Wayne!! :0), if anyone is in the area they are having a special event at Foremark Reservoir for National Moth Night on September 19th for more info you can contact Wayne at wayne.ball@severntrent.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment